The U.S. Department of Defense announced yesterday they were sending more units to U.S. Central Command in the Persian Gulf to join what was already there as well as the recently added Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber strike group sent earlier in the month. The U.S.S. Arlington and a Patriot Missile battery will be added to the already-formidable military presence.
According to the DoD release:
USS Arlington is a San Antonio-class ship that transports U.S. Marines, amphibious vehicles, conventional landing craft and rotary aircraft with the capability to support amphibious assault, special operations, or expeditionary warfare missions.
USS Arlington also provides a high quality command and control capability and improved interoperability with our allies and partners in the region.
A Patriot battery is a long-range, all-weather air defense system to counter tactical ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and advanced aircraft.
This seems to be more than just preparation for possible attacks by Iran’s proxies, as has been reported by most news outlets covering the situation. Instead, it seems like the type of buildup that is in preparation for an anticipated major attack. As I speculated the Thursday, the anticipated major attack could be Iran’s retaliation for an upcoming Israeli mission to cripple Iran’s nuclear program following the defection of Brigadier General Ali Nasiri.
Here are the important facts to consider:
- Nasiri brought with him a cache of military intelligence
- His role as intelligence chief means he knows the whereabouts of every component of Iran’s nuclear program; his department oversaw protection for the program
- A meeting on April 29 with top brass in U.S. military and intelligence was conspicuously held at CIA headquarters, the venue with the most secure direct connection to Israel’s Mossad
- The two strike groups previously sent to the Persian Gulf combined with what was already there represent a tremendous offensive unit capable of taking out Iran’s entire military if necessary
- The Arlington carries U.S. Marines and vehicles necessary for land-based missions
- The presence of a Patriot battery is for missile attacks should Iran attack in that manner
Iran is being backed into an economic corner by U.S. sanctions, but that does not make an imminent attack on U.S. forces or the nation of Israel likely. They are desperate but not suicidal. It’s for this reason that I’m leaning towards addressing or preventing a counterstrike by Iran as the more likely scenario that calls for such tremendous nation-leveling firepower being sent to the region. If Israel takes out Iran’s nuclear program through airstrikes by Israeli forces, sabotage by the Mossad, or a coordinated combination of the two, Iran would be much more willing to go to war.
The defection of Nasiri just prior to this major escalation and the known meetings that have been held since is too conspicuous to be coincidence.
Once the U.S. has its forces locked and loaded in the Persian Gulf, do not be surprised to hear about actions by Israel to cripple Iran’s nuclear program. Since Iran knows what Nasiri knows, the window of opportunity is short.