NBC took a calculated risk when it aired the Julie Swetnick interview. That risk didn’t pay off in, well, any way at all and now may land them in a public relations hornets’ nest. As the Department of Justice prepares to investigate and eventually reveal NBC’s incredibly poor editorial judgment, abysmal journalistic standards, and leftist anti-Kavanaugh agenda, the network is attempting to get ahead of the story by revealing their cards early.
Technically, they’re revealing their cards much later than they should have.
Becket Adams at Washington Examiner posted a great analysis of the situation two days ago:
NBC sat on evidence exonerating Justice Kavanaugh, discrediting Michael Avenatti and his clients’ accusations
The first theory posits that NBC deliberately suppressed this information for a month because it was an active and willing participant in a larger campaign to keep Kavanaugh from taking the Supreme Court’s “swing” seat. A second, less insidious theory would be that NBC quietly shelved these details because it was embarrassed to have entertained the Swetnick story in the first place. Its reporters and editors were so eager to score a major exclusive that they ignored the usual editorial standards, only to decide later that they had made a grave error in taking Avenatti seriously. Maybe the network thought it could quietly cover up its terrible lapse in good editorial judgment. It’s not a great excuse, and it certainly doesn’t absolve NBC from hiding exonerating evidence when it mattered most. I’d say this second theory is only slightly less-damning than the one that suggests the network actively engaged in an effort to derail the judge’s confirmation
Now, NBC has released some excuses about why they failed at journalism 101 on this story. These excuses are loaded with nearly as many holes as Avenatti’s and Swetnick’s stories, but if that’s what they’re rolling with, so be it.
NBC’s Kate Snow put up a tweetstorm Saturday explaining why NBC belatedly published a piece Thursday revealing that a 2nd witness provided by Michael Avenatti to back up Swetnick’s account directly contradicted claims Avenatti made on her behalf. Snow claims she and NBC hadn’t finished vetting the article about this 2nd witness until the Kavanaugh confirmation was over and so decided to drop it as old news. That supposedly changed this week, when Sen. Chuck Grassley referred Avenatti and Swetnick to the DOJ for investigation. That referral, Snow claims, suddenly made the story newsworthy again.
If you’re scratching your head trying to make sense of it all, you’re not alone. Let’s break it down:
- NBC wanted Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation blocked and life destroyed, but they aren’t supposed to have such feelings so they disguised it with “reporting the news.”
- The news they reported seemed juicy at first until they actually started asking questions. Apparently, there are remnants of journalistic standards still left in a handful of them.
- Despite the corroborator failing to corroborate anything she was supposed to be corroborating, their desire to destroy Kavanaugh superseded the remnant of journalistic principles they temporarily displayed by asking questions in the first place. Keeping the narrative intact was more important than reporting the truth.
- As soon as reports came out that the Department of Justice was going to investigate the claims, multiple people at the network likely screamed, “Oh s–t!” before deciding to come clean now before their narrative-building cover ups were discovered.
- In true leftist mainstream media fashion, they came up with a completely bogus excuse for the absence of journalistic integrity that got them in this mess in the first place.
- As the hole they’d dug themselves into became too big to climb out of, someone decided it’s better to dig deeper. Keep digging. If they can make it all the way through to the other side, they’ll fit in better as a part of China’s state-run media.
NBC’s handling of the situation then and now are the epitome of modern mainstream media. They’re caught between futile attempts to seem like they’re not puppets for the Democrats and awkward acceptance of their own journalistic incompetence.
Promo for Mike Lindell's New Daily Show
All ORIGINAL content on this site is © 2021 NOQ Report. All REPUBLISHED content has received direct or implied permission for reproduction.
With that said, our content may be reproduced and distributed as long as it has a link to the original source and the author is credited prominently. We don’t mind you using our content as long as you help out by giving us credit with a prominent link. If you feel like giving us a tip for the content, we will not object!
JD Rucker – EIC