Tennessee Republican Senator Bob Corker will not run for reelection in 2018.
“After much thought, consideration and family discussion over the past year, Elizabeth and I have decided that I will leave the United States Senate when my term expires at the end of 2018,” he said in a statement.
“When I ran for the Senate in 2006, I told people that I couldn’t imagine serving for more than two terms. Understandably, as we have gained influence, that decision has become more difficult. But I have always been drawn to the citizen legislator model, and while I realize it is not for everyone, I believe with the kind of service I provide, it is the right one for me.
“I also believe the most important public service I have to offer our country could well occur over the next 15 months, and I want to be able to do that as thoughtfully and independently as I did the first 10 years and nine months of my Senate career.”
Talks in recent weeks have been focused on finding a conservative primary challenger for the two-term Senator. He serves as chair of the influential Foreign Relations Committee.
Corker was once a strong supporter of President Trump and considered to be a potential for Trump’s cabinet as well as a longshot for Vice President. The two had a falling out following the President’s statements on the Charlottesville attack.
Had he run for reelection, Corker was likely to face primary challenges from the more conservative wing of the Republican party. A conservative activist named Andy Ogles has already announced his intention to run for Corker’s seat, and Clay “Boobgate” Travis has hinted at a Senate run.
I’m sure McConnell and Trump will be fighting tooth and nail to get another RINO to fill Corker’s seat next year. But what we really need is a strong conservative like Cruz and Lee. It’s a great opportunity to grow our conservative minority in the Senate!
NEWS: Sen. Bob Corker plans to retire rather than run for reelection in 2018. Statement: pic.twitter.com/gNQuOm7H4g
— Sean Sullivan (@WaPoSean) September 26, 2017
They’re Trying to Shut Us Down
Over the last several months, I’ve lost count of how many times the powers-that-be have tried to shut us down. They’ve sent hackers at us, forcing us to take extreme measures on web security. They sent attorneys after us, but thankfully we’re not easily intimidated by baseless accusations or threats. They’ve even gone so far as to make physical threats. Those can actually be a bit worrisome but Remington has me covered.
For us to continue to deliver the truth that Americans need to read and hear, we ask you, our amazing audience, for financial assistance. We just launched a GiveSendGo page to help us pay the bills. It’s brand new so don’t be discouraged by the lack of donations there. It’s a funny reality that the fewer the donations that have been made, the less likely people are willing to donate to it. One would think this is counterintuitive, but sometimes people are skeptical because they think that perhaps there’s a reason others haven’t been donating. In our situation, we’re just getting started so please don’t be shy if you have the means to help.
Thank you and God bless!