Connect with us

TNA’s new Managing Editor Steve Berman: In his own words

Some people are politics junkies. Others are addicted to news. I am more of a “why” kind of guy.

I grew up in a fairly non-political family. My parents were blue-collar, and I started out in a blended family. My dad was a widower with three boys, my mom was a divorcee with two girls, and together they had my brother and me. I was the baby—born in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1964, when the Vietnam War was ramping up and the space race was white hot.

I don’t believe my mother ever voted for anyone but a Democrat her whole life. She’d vote a straight blue ticket, and she always voted. She divorced my dad when I was just four, and married my step-dad, Danny, when I was eleven. We moved to seacoast New Hampshire after that, where I did most of my growing up.

Although my mother, father and stepfather were all blue-collar workers, they believed in hard work and education. My dad was a tool and die maker at General Electric for 40 years. That position no longer exists—it’s been replaced by desktop CAD and numerical control machines. He used to do trigonometry in his head. My step-dad was a welder at the same GE plant, also for four decades—he ran the welding school in the marine steam turbine division.

All five of my mother’s children attended college. Of my six siblings, four graduated college, including myself. My oldest brother Roy had a degree in chemical engineering from Northeastern—he passed away last year. My brother Barry had a great career as an electrician, and eventually an inspector for the MBTA in Boston; he retired recently.

My two sisters both went to the University of Massachusetts, and my brother Jay and I graduated from the University of New Hampshire.

My mother and father were both full-blooded Jews, and ensured we had a Jewish education. My stepfather was Italian, but converted to Judaism at 50 years old to marry my mother (including the, err, anatomical bit). We were generally non-observant Jews, but I had seven years of Hebrew, which I can still read and understand.

The first presidential election I voted in was 1984. I voted for Reagan. My mom voted for Mondale, whom I couldn’t stand.

By the time I left college, I was fairly non-political (but left-leaning), very technical, and confident that I could do whatever I put my mind to. I remember Bill Clinton giving a speech literally in the field behind my condo in 1992. When the whole Gennifer Flowers thing erupted, I remember thinking “well, he’s dead.” I voted for Perot that year.

Then I moved to Central Georgia, where I observed the great lamentation and gnashing of teeth at Clinton’s election. I couldn’t understand why they so despised the man—after all he was a southerner like Jimmy Carter, right?

As I began to learn about politics and people, I realized that the “why” of ideas mattered far more than the “who” or the “team.” I began to realize that political contests are many times just popularity contests. I realized that the people we end up with in elected office, at the local, state, and federal level, are deeply flawed, and usually not the most competent person to do the job.

I learned that the biggest embedded self-interest group in America is the government itself, made up of a million people drawing paychecks funded by our taxes.

And I learned that the news we see, both online and on the boob tube, is generally presented to us in a way to influence our thinking, not to educate us to make our own decisions.

In 1995, I started a small company to sell Internet service in Warner Robins, Georgia. Less than a year later, I left my job at Robins Air Force Base to run that company full time. We started it with $52,000 in scraped-together capital, and sold it five years later for $2.5 million.

Then I spent about 15 years in various positions at a software company, incubating a payment services company, and helping to sell both to a multinational public corporation. By then, I’d had it with corporate life.

My experience with helping political campaigns, taught me it’s a dirty business filled with lots of charlatans and featherbedders, and you had to be careful to choose honest, competent people. Just like the news, just like business, just like government, it’s best to know “why” than just to blindly root for a team.

One day at my corporate job, the executive I reported to made an offhand remark that I could have another career as a writer after he read a motivational piece I wrote for my employees. So in 2014, I began pursuing that. I probably should have started in 1992.

What can I say? I’m a late bloomer.

I wrote a diary at RedState, and published on my own blog. I began writing for the local newspaper (I still do). I wrote for a year at Bizpac Review. Then I was offered the opportunity to be a featured contributor for Erick Erickson’s new website, The Resurgent. I was there the day the site debuted.

I’ve been cited by the New York Times, had pieces picked up by Fox News and RealClearPolitics, and published in The Stream.

Instead of simply cheerleading or spinning the news, I think it’s vital to know why things happen. I think it’s important to read news and trends from smaller outlets, by sometimes unknown writers.

I believe we learn more about the human condition by reading Flannery O’Connor on raising peafowl, or Adam Serwer on Robert E. Lee (Serwer is a senior political editor at The Atlantic) than the daily fare served up by the New York Times or Washington Post.

Why people believe what they believe is far more important than what some celebrity or senator thinks about the latest Trump tweets.

Of course, it’s important to keep up with news and events. Failing to do so is like putting one’s head in a gas oven that won’t heat up looking for the pilot light, while breathing in the gas.

But going deeper and to the edges of that coverage, and getting to the “whys” is the main reason I took on the responsibility of editing The New Americana. As a news aggregator, my goal is to do more than simply regurgitate the latest news and reactions, but to give that news a context and a vibrant canvass for you, the reader, to form educated and intelligent opinions.

Life is best when we know why we believe what we believe. It’s my mission at The New Americana to make it the place you go with your morning coffee and throughout the day for high quality, deep content. I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy preparing it for you.

Managing Editor of NOQ Report. Serial entrepreneur. Faith, family, federal republic. One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Continue Reading

1. Eric Dixon

June 8, 2017 at 12:26 pm

This is excellent

2. Marc

June 8, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Hallelujah! I’ve been reading you on The Resurgent and am glad you are here.

3. Pat Nicklaus

June 8, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Welcome, Steve. Looking forward to reading your thoughts, rants and inspirations!

4. Terry Hedden

June 8, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I anticipate hearing truth without an agenda.

5. Henry Davis

June 9, 2017 at 5:03 am

AMEN AMEN AMEN, Steve. You could not have hit it on the head any better. Thanks and Good Luck. Blessings will follow you.

6. David L

July 19, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Hi Steve,

I too was very pleased to find that you came on board to run the website. I’ve been a fan of your material on the Resurgent, as well as your blog. I’m the one who suggested recently, you get on the Hewitt show. I think I read that JD made some guest appearances recently too.

I was contacted by a member of the Federalist, Tricia Morris, and had a nice chat. I mentioned to her that I could supply a steady stream of links for Information Security, as I follow them very closely. I’ve even written a few blog posts for, and am in the list of contributors. I was invited to do so, but do to other issues, I’ve not been active lately.
    I also suggested several software solutions that leadership should use, to protect yourselves, as well as the organization.

Anyways, thanks for all the hard work. It really shows and I hope inspires others to help spread the word.

PS. I voted in my first presidential election in 80 for Reagan of course, I was just eligible by several months. I’ll never forget the look of astonishment on my bosses face, (he also was president of the school board) besides owning a glad shop, and was firmly a liberal. It was funny when he asked me what I thought I was doing there? Not knowing, I blurted out “peanut picker has got to go!” while standing in a long line. He promptly let me know that was a no, no, but, the cat was out of the bag ? and of course, Michigan went for Reagan in a big way. You know, Auto industry.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RNC fundraiser uses recycled Trump survey promoting recycled broken promises

As Republicans face the daunting task of trying to avoid a political blood-bath in November, and as Donald Trump puts his 2020 re-election campaign in gear, the Republican National Committee sent out their official “Trump Agenda Survey.” I know it’s official because it said so in big, bold, red letters at the top.

It’s also a recycled edition of the same survey the RNC sent out last year.

In a cover letter from RNC Chairwoman and niece of Utah carpetbagger Mitt Romney, Ronna McDaniel assured me that Trump has been working hard to “put our nation back on a winning path,” but he needed my help to beat the “DC establishment” and the “unfair treatment” he is receiving from the “biased, lying media.” According to McDaniel, turning our country around after 8 years of Obama isn’t easy.

Is it just me, or did Obama use a similar excuse when he blamed his failures on George W. Bush?

McDaniel then assured me that her #1 priority as RNC Chair was ensuring that the Trump White House and the GOP majorities in the House and Senate kept in touch with people like me—a goal that apparently requires that I send the RNC a nice “skin in the game” donation along with my completed survey.

The survey itself was quite interesting when you consider that, according to Donald Trump, he has accomplished more than any president in history. Why was it interesting? Well . . . let’s just say that if you liked the GOP’s 2016 campaign rhetoric and lies, you’ll love the issues addressed in the Trump agenda survey because THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!

In the survey, McDaniel wants me to let her know if I want Trump and Republicans in Congress to fight for:

• Reform the federal income tax system and reduce corporate tax rates
  • Build a border wall and strengthen border security to stop illegal immigration
  • Reverse President Obama’s unconstitutional executive orders
  • Cut job-killing regulations to get the economy growing
  • Confirm federal judges who pledge to follow the original intent of the Constitution
  • Withhold federal funding from “Sanctuary cities” that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities
  • Re-equip and rebuild our military
  • Repeal and replace Obamacare
  • Encourage domestic exploration and production of energy sources
  • Re-negotiate trade deals to put American jobs and interests first

Like I said before, it’s recycled. Not a single, solitary new idea from the party that is supposedly winning so much that we can’t take it anymore.

Interestingly enough, while the survey offered nothing but the same old recycled promises, some of the GOP’s previously broken promises were noticeably missing, such as: defunding Planned Parenthood, ending DACA, and working to reduce the size and cost of government.

It wasn’t her intention, but McDaniel’s plea for feedback and funds confirms what conservatives have known all along—the GOP has been hijacked by Republicrats and Trumplicans who have no agenda other than their political self-preservation. And in classic “party over principle” fashion, the RNC is recycling the broken promises that got these lying liars elected in the first place.

Despite the P.S. McDaniel included at the end of her letter, Trump and the GOP are doing very little “to Make America Great Again!” They are, however, doing plenty to show why it’s time for conservatives to sever ties with the GOP and build a new party.

Originally posted on The Strident Conservative.

David Leach is the owner of The Strident Conservative. His daily radio commentary is nationally syndicated with Salem Radio Network and can be heard on stations across America.

Follow the Strident Conservative on Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe to receive podcasts of radio commentaries: iTunes | Stitcher | Tune In | RSS

Continue Reading

The GOP has refused to learn from Trump’s victory.

Once Donald Trump secured not only the nomination, but the Presidency, I thought perhaps that the GOP establishment would be smart enough to learn from this event. It should have been easy to see that the “catastrophe” that they saw in front of them would be a wake-up call to stop supporting moderate to liberal candidates like John McCain, Mitt Romney, and John Kasich. It seemed obvious to me that, whatever you might feel about Trump, the rank and file members of the GOP were in open rebellion against a party that had no interest in actually fulfilling conservative principles like limited government, liberty, and the rights of the people to choose for themselves.

The likes of Mitch McConnell and political operatives (hacks, actually) like Bill Kristol and Rick Wilson would surely see that they needed to stop supporting liberal Republicans like Kasich and Jeff Flake. Right? I mean this was so obvious my 5-year-old could figure it out.

Boy was I wrong.

Instead, the GOP has doubled down on their desire to control the political winds. Like the Democrats do with their “super delegates” in their Presidential nomination process, it is clear that the GOP establishment feels it cannot and should not trust the people to make the best decisions for themselves. Thus far, the GOP has made no move to institute a “super delegate” system in the Presidential nominating process, but with what we’re seeing so far in the 2018 mid-term elections, it is clear that that scenario is a real possibility.

The DC establishment has made it clear that they will manipulate the mid-term elections in such a way that, should they actually maintain control of both the House and Senate, they want it to be full of Republicans that really are not distinguishable from their Democratic colleagues in any significant way.

The Bad News

It is not unusual for the GOP to support their incumbents. From their perspective, if it’s not broke, why fix it, right? Well, the problem is that it IS broken. We have sitting Republicans who have been there for years or even decades, many of whom have done little to nothing to preserve liberty and much to line their own pockets.

In the Georgia 7th Congressional district, Rob Woodall, who is in his 4th term already and was a DC political operative for many years before that, has a voting record that is little different from your average Southern or Mid-Western Democrat. Shane Hazel, a former Marine Force Recon combat veteran who still today works to equip and train our fighting men and women in the private sector, is taking on Woodall, but meeting resistance not just from Woodall, but also from political operatives who don’t want to upset their establishment bosses.

Banks Wise, Hazel’s campaign manager, recently told me the story of how Mike Seigle, the Gwinnett County Republican Chairman, stonewalled them on debates with Woodall. To make a long story short, Seigle seems to have dodged phone calls for weeks on end after promising debates, and then eventually called them off because of his own delays.

“Shane is committing a political no-no,” as Wise put it, “in challenging a sitting Republican Congressman.” In my view, if the GOP were committed to the principles of We the People choosing our own representatives, or if they thought Woodall was really the best candidate, then Seigle and Woodall should have had no problem at all with Woodall debating Hazel.

The truth is though that the GOP is very much afraid of We the People making our own decisions regarding who we want representing and leading us. They don’t like the fact that Trump was nominated. They flat out hate the fact that he was elected, and many of those with insufferable arrogance, like Bill Kristol, Rick Wilson, and Tom Nichols would have flat out rather seen a Hillary Clinton victory in 2016. They may see Clinton as a political adversary, but she isn’t their enemy. We are.

In a nearly unprecedented move, the GOP has not only put their full support behind their incumbents, they have also gone so far as to decide who the GOP nominee should be for Senate in seats they don’t currently hold.

One of the most poachable Senate seats this year is the one in Missouri currently held by Claire McCaskill. Jeff Carson, campaign manager for Austin Petersen, told me that it was odd the way they were seeing the establishment pull out all the stops for their preferred candidate, Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley. Anyone who has done even five minutes of research on Hawley knows he would be a lap dog for Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other weak Republican leaders.

Love him, hate him, or indifferent to him, it’s undeniable that Donald Trump resonated with voters who were normally indifferent, likely because he doesn’t use the normal GOP political tactic of curling up in a corner, sucking on his thumb, and saying “please don’t hurt me” when the routine and meaningless leftist accusations of racism and sexism came flying at him (looking at YOU, Mitt Romney).

Hawley won’t be able to connect with voters who don’t see a difference between the GOP establishment and the Democrats. The establishment would have rather lost to Hillary Clinton than won with Trump. It seems in Missouri they’d rather lose with Hawley than win with a Constitutionalist who they can’t control like Petersen.

The establishment is further involving themselves in state elections that have little bearing on DC as well, but this time using big donors to support a mediocre candidate rather than a Constitutionalist. Former Army Ranger and current Georgia gubernatorial candidate Hunter Hill told me a couple days ago that they are seeing a great deal of money flowing the way of their biggest opponent, Casey Cagle, the state’s Lieutenant Governor.

The Good News

The GOOD news is that the rank and file members of the GOP seem to be fighting back like never before. Hunter Hill said, “The political class is definitely coalescing around Cagle, with career politicians like Orin Hatch coming to stump for him, but the people are seeing our message and it is resonating. We are in 2nd place in the polls, and with Georgia being a runoff state, we like our chances.” Hill also informed me that they were actually doing a fairly good job raising money, but not so much from the big donors, but from average Georgians and other American conservatives who want to see a true conservative become governor of one of the 13 original states.

Perhaps the conservative faithful of the GOP are fighting back?

The mainstream media no longer has an iron grip on messaging. With social media like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, candidates are able to get their message out without the gatekeepers in the media keeping them silent. “We have an effective social media campaign going,” Hunter Hill told me, “and getting our message out in that way is effective.”

However, social media is still controlled by Leftists, with Petersen recently getting a 30-day suspension from Facebook over the issue of 2nd Amendment rights. This form of private censorship should be telling. It’s obvious that the left-leaning Facebook would rather have McCaskill face off against Hawley than Petersen. Why might that be exactly? Seems they believe McCaskill would have an easier time against Hawley.

On the other hand, Erin Cruz, running for Senate in California against Diane Feinstein, who is seeking yet another term that would take her into her 90s, is seeing her messaging blowing up all over social media. While the GOP establishment may be somewhat apathetic to this race as one they can’t win, Erin Cruz is certainly giving the aging Democrat a run for her money as the staunch conservatives in California, tired of seeing their state fall deeper and deeper into Socialism, seem to be enthusiastic over the first-time candidate’s run.

Dr. Ken Wright seems to be doing the same in the California 33rd, a district so blue that the GOP wasn’t even going to run anyone in 2016 until Wright stepped in and got nearly 40% of the vote with no real support. Now that he has support, could Dr. Wright unseat the twisted and corrupt Ted Lieu? It seems that now is the time.

The Upshot

There is plenty of fault to be found in the establishment’s desire to run squish candidates that they can control, but it is ultimately the responsibility of We the People to get out there and decide for whom to vote. People need to take individual responsibility before going to the primary polls and voting for who really represents them.

Each of us must decide for ourselves who really represents us. Do we want judicial nominees and treaties being decided by Constitutionalists like Petersen, or establishment lap dogs like Hawley? Do we want to be represented in the People’s House by stalwart citizens like Shane Hazel, or lifelong politicos like Rob Woodall? Do the people of Georgia want to be governed by a career politician like Casey Cagle, or American heroes like Hunter Hill?

And what about those places where the GOP has just given up? Will Californians rebel against corrupt Democrats like Ted Lieu and Dianne Feinstein and put in their place men and women of honor like Dr. Ken Wright and Erin Cruz? I sure hope so.

Trump’s victory in 2016 in no way saved us. It simply delayed the continuing onslaught of big government that wants to control every aspect of our lives. Get out there and vote, Conservatives. It’s time to finally teach the GOP establishment that they are NOT in charge, we are.

The Missouri primary is August 7th.

The Georgia primary is May 22nd.

The California primary is June 5th.

Continue Reading

Culture and Religion

An open letter to Sen. Lamar Alexander, US Senate on the nomination of Chai Feldblum

The Honorable Lamar Alexander

Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions committee

United States Senate

CC United States Senators

March 17, 2018

Dear Senator Alexander,

It has come to my attention that President Trump has re-nominated Chai Feldblum to her position as commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This news has brought me grave concern.

On behalf of the American people, it is up to you and the rest of the Senate to remedy this unfortunate situation.

As you are aware, the EEOC deals with cases of workplace discrimination; having the power to enforce federal laws, investigate discrimination complaints, regulate and pursue legal charges against private businesses, and influence public opinion. It is imperative that any federal agency entrusted with such powers be steered by the conscientious counsel of unbiased leadership.

A former college basketball coach once said, “Offense is not equal opportunity.” However, since her appointment by former President Obama in 2010, Ms. Feldblum has exploited her position at the EEOC to offensively further her own fanatical advocacy goals at the expense of religiously-oriented American citizens, the Bill of Rights be damned.

Religious liberty, inviolable and protected from governmental infringement by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, is richly ingrained in our country’s values, having been secured by the blood of our ancestors. In fact, religious liberty, often referred to by the Founders as freedom of conscience, was considered by early Americans to be so precious that, even in the midst of America’s fight for independence, conscience objections were considered sacrosanct.

Consider the words of America’s first President, George Washington, in a letter to Benedict Arnold during America’s Revolutionary War:

“While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the conscience of others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men, and to Him only in this case are they answerable.”

For Chai Feldblum, however, religious freedom must be subjugated with the full force of the government’s ugly fist.

She is, in a word, tyrannical.

Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary defines tyranny as “a rigorous [strict] condition imposed by some outside agency or force,” as imposed by a tyrant.

A tyrant is defined as “one resembling an oppressive ruler in the harsh use of authority or power.”

Ms. Feldblum has made several deeply troubling statements that betray her tyrannical intentions, wholly at odds with America’s founding principles:

• “I’m having a hard time coming up with any case in which religious liberty should win… Sexual liberty should win in most cases. There can be a conflict between religious liberty and sexual liberty, but in almost all cases the sexual liberty should win because that’s the only way that the dignity of gay people can be affirmed in any realistic manner (emphasis mine).”
  • “I believe granting liberty to gay people advances a compelling government interest, that such an interest cannot be adequately advanced if ‘pockets of resistance’ to a societal statement of equality are permitted to flourish, and hence that a law that permits no individual exceptions based on religious beliefs will be the least restrictive means of achieving the goal of liberty for gay people (emphasis mine).”

Ms. Feldblum’s seditious statements are in dramatic contrast to what Benjamin Franklin wrote in 1774, in Emblematic Representations:

“The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy (emphasis mine)”

In addition, Ms. Feldblum’s thesis on the proper role of government is unequivocally incompatible with the words spoken by President Thomas Jefferson during his first inaugural address, 1801:

“A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned – this is the sum of good government.”

Chai Feldblum’s offensive advocacy through the EEOC is so extreme and outside of Constitutional bounds that, in 2012, the usually divided Supreme Court of the United States ruled unanimously against Feldblum’s EEOC attempt to void the “Ministerial Exemption,” which allows leeway for religious organizations to carry out routine, religiously-related matters of hiring and terminating employees.

While Ms. Feldblum claims to represent the LGBTQ+ community, she speaks only for a small, yet loud portion of the demographic; one comprised almost entirely of radical LGBTQ+ activists.

In truth, Ms. Feldblum’s fanatical, extremist, ideologically-driven agenda only serves to marginalize a significant portion of sexual minorities, in addition to women and countless Americans of religious orthodoxy.

Ignoring the conservative, sexual minorities who disapprove of the forced subjugation of religious Americans, Ms. Feldblum propagates stereotypes of the various people she claims to represent, and actively encourages neighbors to go to war with neighbors.

Feldblum insists on a “zero-sum” game, where religious Americans and members of the LGBTQ+ community are incapable of living peaceably side-by-side. As the architect of former President Obama’s Transgender executive order, Feldblum further victimizes traumatized women and children, insisting they must tolerate an unsafe existence, as grown men are ushered into their locker rooms and bathrooms in the name of “progress.” Feldblum insists on subjugating religious, yet same-sex attracted business owners in the private market, drastically hindering their pursuit of happiness through economic independence. Feldblum insists that all LGBTQ+ Americans think as she does.

Ms. Feldblum is a tyrant; wholly unworthy of another five years at the helm of the EEOC.

Speaking on the sacredness of religious liberty in America, Samuel Adams stated, August 1, 1776:

“Driven from every other corner of the earth freedom of thought and the right of private judgment in matters of conscience direct their course to this happy country as their last asylum.”

The responsibility, Senator Alexander, now rests with you and the Senate to protect religious liberty as vigorously and as confidently as our Founding Fathers.

If you fail to perform this duty, this great test of your legacy as one of the leaders of the free world, may the words of Samuel Adams haunt you for the remainder of your days:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

Most sincerely,

Paige Rogers, Tennessee

Continue Reading

NOQ Report Daily

Copyright © 2017 NOQ Report.