Connect with us

News

Hacker who stole data on 57 millions people from Uber paid $100,000 to destroy the data

Published

on

Hacker who stole data on 57 millions people from Uber paid 100000 to destroy the data

Last year, Uber was hacked. Over 57 million passengers and 600,000 drivers had their personal information stolen by a 20-year-old hacker from Florida. According to three people talking to Reuters, the company paid the hacker $100,000 in a “bug bounty” program.

Under normal circumstances, these bug bounties are intended to encourage hackers to find vulnerabilities. In this case, the hacker exploited the vulnerability, then was put into the bug bounty program so his ransom could be paid. In layman’s terms, the Uber executives who knew about the breach used the bug bounty so they could pay it and pretend it was all part of IT security protocol. They didn’t want to admit they were hacked and likely wouldn’t have admitted it if an investigation by the board last month hadn’t revealed it.

Exclusive: Uber paid 20-year-old Florida man to keep data breach secret

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-cyber-payment-exclusive/exclusive-uber-paid-20-year-old-florida-man-to-keep-data-breach-secret-sources-idUSKBN1E101CNewly appointed Uber Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi fired two of Uber’s top security officials when he announced the breach last month, saying the incident should have been disclosed to regulators at the time it was discovered, about a year before.

It remains unclear who made the final decision to authorize the payment to the hacker and to keep the breach secret, though the sources said then-CEO Travis Kalanick was aware of the breach and bug bounty payment in November of last year.

The company, while still on top of the ridesharing industry, has faced setbacks, lawsuits, and fierce competition chasing them. The hack came at a vulnerable time for Uber, possibly prompting executives to attempt subterfuge instead of coming clean from the start.

Federalists

Vice says women shouldn’t have guns

Published

on

On Friday, Vice’s Twitter account tweeted out a previous Vice article from June 14, 2016, entitled, “A Very Incomplete List of People Gun Rights Activists Think Should Be Armed.”

The brief article is a lamentation of the belief of Second Amendment advocates, specifically “the NRA and other right-wing groups,” that “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”

The tweet (below) reads, “The NRA wants to put guns in the hands of: Schoolteachers, Preachers, Anyone who goes into a nightclub, Women …just to name a few.”

According to author Harry Cheadle – who evidently believes that women shouldn’t be afforded Constitutional protections or exercise our God-given human rights – “the goal [of 2A advocates] is to make sure everyone is prepared to engage in a shootout at all times.”

“And by everyone, I mean everyone,” he emphasized.

So, just who, exactly, does Vice believe should be considered prohibited from exercising his/her Second Amendment rights?

“Here is a surely incomplete list of people that gun rights activists believe should be packing heat. Once all of these categories of Americans are all carrying guns on them at all times, presumably we will finally be safe…”

The listed include (as worded the article), but are not limited to:

-Women

-Gay people

-Jews

-Holocaust victims

-Some people who commit domestic violence

-Firefighters

-Every black person in America

-Pilots on planes

-People on the terrorist watch list

Yes, ladies, you read that right. A gun in the hand of a woman is as great a risk as possible terrorists. I can imagine Mr. Cheadle must be petrified at the sight of a woman behind the wheel of a car!

Ahhh!

Yes, Mr. Cheadle is apparently quite fearful of women, Holocaust victims, and black Americans, among others.

Well, as you might expect, this didn’t go over too well on Twitter. Here are just a few of the (often snark-filled) reactions.



And, in case you are wondering about my own response to Vice’s tweet… I joined the NRA.

Continue Reading

Guns and Crime

Scott Israel: SRO avoided confronting Cruz

Published

on

The latest breaking news on the Parkland Shooting reveals yet another failure in preventing or mitigating the shooting rampage. According to Sheriff Scott Israel, the school SRO positioned himself outside and never went in. This took place for about four minutes during the shooting that lasted about six minutes. The deputy’s name is Scot Peterson, and he resigned upon being suspended without pay while being investigated.

Cautious Take

There are a lot of perspectives on this development. We shouldn’t rush to judgement as this story is still developing. Was Scot Peterson a coward? Absolutely. He had a weapon and training. No doubt some of the colossal failure rests on him. But not all. Scott Israel is in charge of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, meaning Peterson reports to him. This could be the higher ups scapegoating an underling so that their contribution to the incident, such as the slow response time and failures prior to the shooting go unnoticed. Furthermore, are we to assume, as Scott Israel would have us, that during these four minutes Peterson did absolutely nothing? What if he was ordered to wait? Too many questions remain, so lets wait.

What’s also concerning about the situation is that Scott Israel has been going after the NRA. Many leftists are using this story as fuel against the idea of allowing teachers to have concealed carry. Perhaps that was Sheriff Israel’s purpose in throwing his guy under the bus. Remember this as the government and elected officials play the blame game: Aaron Feis did more to protect students with less.

Continue Reading

Democrats

Blue wave looking weak in Pennsylvania special election

Published

on

Comparable to the Arizona Special Election that is to take next week, the Pennsylvania 18th district is in a special election situation because of unacceptable behavior of Rep. Tim Murphy who during an extramarital affair reportedly asked his mistress to get an abortion. The Republicans have handily controlled PA18 for years and don’t want Murphy’s buffoonery to mess things up. The Republican champion in this race is Rick Saccone.  An open seat in a northern state presents a great opportunity for Democrats to cash in on the Blue Wave they keep boasting. The victory of Doug Jones provides a road win Democrats have so far lacked since 2016. Looking to be PA18’s Doug Jones is Conor Lamb. Lamb is an assistant US attorney who served in the Marine Corps. His platform emphasizes healthcare related issues as well as student debt and energy.

Who is Rick Saccone?

The House of Representatives would be a promotion for the current State Rep. However, Rick Saccone hardly has an active record in the PA legislature. For the most part, Saccone has a record of sponsoring lighthearted, if not outright nonsensical bills, such as a resolution appreciating Heinz Ward and Juneteenth. In the legislature, he has a record of voting in favor of guns and unborn. However, Rick Saccone is not a limited government conservative on a local level. In the past he has voted for tax increases.

State of the Race

As of now, all of the recent polling has the 18th district reliably in the GOP’s hands. However, polling in 2018 will likely continue its downward trend of effectiveness. So take it with a grain of salt. The endorsements are piling high for Rick Saccone. He has the thumbs up from both Trump and Pence, along with several conservative organizations. The recent polling is perhaps responsible for what seems like the Democrats capping their support for Lamb. The GOP, on the contrary, is throwing heavy cash on keeping a seat where Tim Murphy ran unopposed in 2016.

Rating: Likely Republican

My Take

Rick Saccone will in my mind comes away as the winner on March 13th. However, he is not nearly suitable for the job as he should be. He legislative record is one of recognizing days of the year as special for a person or group. He does not have a record of sponsoring serious conservative legislation. Though he does have a record of voting conservative, he isn’t a leader on the issues he is campaigning on. The GOP is right to break the bank for his campaign as they aren’t short on cash in this moment. Saccone isn’t a strong candidate in my opinion, but, with some bankroll, he is.

Conor Lamb isn’t a weak candidate but doesn’t have the resources. As for the Democrats, this investment looks like its going sour. Special elections present a time for more eggs to be placed in a single basket. But the Democrats seem to know they are unlikely to win. The Senate races of 2018 looks bleak for them, so the Blue Wave is supposed to take or come close to securing the House of Representatives. In order to do that, they need road wins. Just like the Arizona 8th, this will not be that road win. The crest of the Blue Wave is getting shorter and shorter.

Continue Reading

NOQ Report Daily

Advertisement

Facebook

Twitter

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2017 NOQ Report.